Melissa Kaylene: How to Make Whole Wheat Cheddar Crackers
Image Map

Thursday, January 7, 2016

How to Make Whole Wheat Cheddar Crackers

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #EatlightEatRight  #CollectiveBias

Well, we are getting back into the routine of school after our long winter break. The kids are adjusting to having homework again, and I am more or less getting back into my work-at-home schedule as well. I thoroughly enjoyed our time spent together during winter break and the lack of schedules, but it was definitely time to let the kids get back to school and to their friends. I firmly believe that everyone needs to have their own time and space so that the kids can all get along better when they are together.

With the kids back in school I’ve been preparing after school snacks for them again because their growing minds need a little something to eat before dinner time. They all love having a hot cup of soup this time of year, so I’ve stocked up on some Progresso® Light soups at our local Walmart. Some of our favorites are the Light Chicken Noodle, Light Creamy Potato with Bacon and Cheese, and the Light Roasted Chicken and Dumplings - but honestly they are all tasty! Many times I’ll make a half of grilled cheese for them to eat on some whole wheat bread, but yesterday I was feeling extra creative and decided to make some whole wheat cheddar crackers for them to eat with their chicken noodle soup. I have only made homemade crackers a couple of times in the past and I’m not sure why I don’t just make them more often. They are incredibly easy and fast to make.


I found an old cracker recipe and switched it up a bit - in fact I ended up using some truffle salt in the recipe that had been given to me over the holidays. Emma fell in love with truffle butter and salt after being introduced to it, so I knew she would love these crackers.

I was right.

If you have an extra 30 minutes you should try making these crackers the next time you have soup for dinner or a snack. They are great by themselves, and I imagine that they’d go well with a dip or topping as well.

Whole Wheat Cheddar Crackers

What you need:

1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese, grated
6 tablespoons of butter, chilled
1 tablespoon of coarsely ground salt (used flavored salt for an extra kick - I used truffle salt)
1 tablespoon olive oil


1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the flour, cheese, butter, and salt into a food processor and pulse until combined. Take the dough out and roll in between two pieces of parchment papers until the dough is approximately ¼ of an inch thick.
3. Slice into your desired size of crackers, or cut out shapes with cookie cutters.
4. Transfer crackers onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
5. Enjoy!


Progresso® Light soups are some of my favorites. They have many flavors to choose from so everyone in my family can have their favorite soup. Each can of soup also has a Box Tops for Education on their label which is a wonderful perk for my family. As the PTA President at our local Grade School I know just how wonderful Box Tops for Education are for the schools. Last year alone our small school earned between $3,000 -$4,000 dollars in money to use in whatever way we needed because of the Box Tops for Education program. Many people don’t know, but a lot of schools don’t have any budget for extra things like field trips, playground equipment, school supplies, etc. and it all has to be fundraised for the kids. My kids love to turn in the labels from the Progresso® Light soup cans because it helps them feel like they are helping out.


Right now (1/1/16-1/31/16) you can save $1.00 on four cans when you buy four Progresso® Soup. Progresso® Light Soups are available at your local Walmart in the soup aisle.


What do your kids request for after school snacks? Do you collect the Box Tops for Education for your school?

~Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Yum! These look great! Pinning for later! #SmallVictories

    ReplyDelete