Melissa Kaylene: Fireworks and Reflections
Image Map

Monday, July 8, 2013

Fireworks and Reflections

 
As an adult, I like fireworks, but they are not something that I long for to see all year like children do. As much as I love Independence Day, my husband and I probably spend more time thinking about all of the traffic and chaos that goes on to make the evening happen.
 
But at 10:00pm as we were all snuggled up outside sitting in front of our car in the big field parking lot for the St. Paul Rodeo,
 
magic happened.
 
Watching my children mesmerized by the colors and twinkling lights for 20 minutes made everything worth it. It suddenly took me back to my own childhood remembering the excitement I used to feel the day of fireworks, and trying so hard to stay up late. We would all drive down to the fair grounds in southern Oregon and my sister and I would be fast asleep after the show - while my parents sat patiently in traffic.
 
Its funny how the older you get, the more rushed you feel all the time, and the less time you spend sitting and reminiscing. For when I thought fireworks really weren't that big of a deal - they were.
 
Because they created memories.
 
And all the hard work in the world can't buy good memories.
 
Memories and relationships are what life is really all about.
 
~Melissa

5 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa,

    My husband and I just got back home from visiting your beautiful part of the country. We spent a few days in the Willamette Valley (I did a post on it called Wine Country). I have to say it was one of the most beautiful areas we have ever seen. We are ready to pack our bags and move. I just came across your blog in the Facebook Frenzy...maybe that is just another nudge for us, LOL. Beautiful fireworks photos. We went up to Portland to watch them. Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check your post out!! I haven't made it up to Portland for the fireworks yet, but that will have to be on the bucket list one of these summers :)
      I've lived in the Willamette Valley for 13 years now and love that its a country feel, but close to the city!

      Delete
  2. awww i love this! the little people make life so much more magical. this weekend we are taking our little dude to disney. i can't wait!!

    just found your sweet blog via caseyleigh. happy friday, friend!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Disney!! I'm jealous! I STILL have never been, and my kids would be in heaven if they ever went! Hope you have fun!!

      Delete
  3. Yes, memories are worth the driving, people, and chaos. Especially if those memories are for our children. I enjoyed your post!
    Visiting from Desire to Inspire:).

    ReplyDelete